Sunday, January 11, 2009

Thank God for MMDA officers

Last night's incident in EDSA was one of the scariest situations I've ever been.

My dad, sis & i were on our way home when the car that my dad was driving suddenly stopped. Yes, the car stopped right in the busy streets of Edsa! We were at the leftmost lane and just a few meters away from Buendia. My dad tried to start it up but nothing happened. It seemed like the battery got drained out. My dad did everything he could, but still, the car wouldn't start. We were beginning to cause a minor build-up already and we were all getting worried. What made the situation worse was, the cars behind us were pounding on their horns incessantly. This made my dad a bit more stressed. Argh! Wanted so much to get out of the car and scream my lungs out at them. Hello! As if we wanted for this to happen! But of course, i kept quiet. Since i know nothing about cars and about driving, that was the most i can do at that time, aside from praying of course. I felt sorry for my dad because he doesn't need this kind of stress. He's 72 years old and fact is, he should not be driving anymore. But my two single brothers who still live with us, don't know how to drive, as well. My sis knows how, but has never tried driving in Edsa yet and my dad wouldn't allow her to. Not yet anyway. Still, i commend my sis for being so calm and responsible. She immediately called my other (married) brothers and informed them of what happened. She didn't let panic to get the best of her. I know she was also scared but she didn't show it.

Anyhow, good thing, there were MMDA officers near the area. They helped set up the early warning device and directed the flow of traffic. When my dad told them that the car wouldn't start, they said they'd push the car until we reach the Emergency Bay. There were three of them. This got me thinking, "How on earth are they gonna do that?!" The Emergency Bay was on the other side, at the rightmost lane. In order for us to reach that point, we would have to cross the street. It didn't look easy since Edsa was so busy at that time. A lot of vehicles were passing through and they were all coming so fast. But there was no other way! This was the time when i hit the panic button. I was so scared! Scared for my family and for the three guys who were pushing the car. I couldn't help it, but i was really bothered by the thought of being hit by another vehicle. But i know we were all silently praying that nothing bad would happen to us. Except for that rampaging bus that overtook us and didn't even bother to slow down, no more untoward accident happened. THANK GOD we were able to get to the other side in one piece.

We asked for the MMDA to call their towing service. While waiting for the wrecker, the MMDA checked the battery and the other parts and doused it with water. Then my dad started the car again and it worked. It turned out the battery overheated and the radiator had some leaks already. We were advised to drive to the nearest gasoline station to have the car checked. The MMDAs were nice enough to not give us any ticket (for obstruction) and for telling us that they'd cancel the towing service. They were also very helpful and we all felt their sincerity in assisting us. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I know MMDA officers don't get a lot of respect now from us, the people. But believe me, THERE ARE STILL SOME GOOD EGGS OUT THERE WHO ARE WILLING TO HELP THE BEST WAY THEY CAN!

No comments: