Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Australian Open Updates

It's already the second week of the Australian Open and it's down to the last four men and women in the Grand Slam.

World number 1, Rafael Nadal beat Frenchman Gilles Simon in their quarterfinals match earlier and will face fellow Spaniard, Fernando Verdasco in the semis on Friday, while Roger Federer will go up against Andy Roddick in the other semis match tomorrow night. If you're one of those three loyal readers I have, you probably know by now that I am a big, big fan of Rafael Nadal. :) So obviously, I'm rooting for him and wishing that he gets his first hard court grand slam title. *fingers crossed* You probably also know that I go for anyone but Roger Federer. But right now, it doesn't really matter whether Rafa faces him or Andy. All I want is for Nadal to win the title. ;)

As for the women, Russian Elena Dementieva will try to continue her winning streak against Serena Williams in the first semis match, while the other match will be an all-Russian semifinals between Dinara Safina and Vera Zvonareva. Williams is undoubtedly, one of the greatest women tennis players, but boy, she gets me fired up whenever she speaks and answers questions during interviews. Such big ego she has! It'll be such a slap in the face if Dementieva gets past Williams. I hope she does. But if not, I'm hoping Safina will give her a difficult time in the finals.

Vamos Rama! Go Safina!

No comments: