Monday, July 07, 2008

Rafa wins his first Wimbledon

Now it can be told:

Rafael Nadal is not just the King of Clay, he's the new hero on grass, the new King of Wimbledon!

After 4 hours 48 minutes and 2 rain delays, Rafael Nadal won his first ever Wimbledon by conquering five-time Wimbledon champion and world's number 1, Roger Federer in an epic five-set battle, 6-4, 6-4, 6-7 (5-7), 6-7 (8-10), 9-7.

Too many superb rallies, too many excellent shots, too much excitement, too much drama, two great players. Truly, this year's men’s singles final will be remembered as one of the greatest in Wimbledon’s rich history.

On a personal note: The match started around 9:30PM and ended at 4:30AM. I didn't even think of going to bed when the play was suspended for about an hour and a half because of the rain. Play got held up again for the second time, but like the jampacked crowd in Centre Court of the All England Club lawns, I too, never left my seat (in our living room :D). I wanted to see this match over and done with. I was still confident that Rafa would win even if he lost his chance of doing it when he was up by 2 sets to love. Besides, this was truly one for the books and I wouldn't want to miss it for the world.

After 2 hours of sleep, I still managed to go to work today. My dad and I had a deal - I promised him that no matter what the outcome is, I would not go on a self-declared holiday. Well, here I am at work, blogging away. Was too happy to do my part of the deal. :)

Vamos Rafa!

No comments: