Thursday, July 17, 2008

Missing the Joker

After watching the movie The Dark Knight, this came to mind:

add The Dark Knight as one of my favorite Heath Ledger movies.


Ok, ok. I know it's Christian Bale who plays the title role in the movie, but come to think of it, it should have just been called "The Joker." As far as I was concerned, the movie was about him. Without The Joker, the movie would have been a disaster.

Heath Ledger's take on The Joker is a completely different one. He took the character to a whole new dark and demented level. In one of his interviews, he talked about his character and said "he's going to be really sinister and it's going to be less about his laugh and his pranks and more about just him being a just a fucking sinister guy." And Heath did not disappoint. He was truly disturbing, The Joker, that is.

Let me make it clear.

Heath Ledger was such a talented actor that he made me feel terrified of The Joker. Even before the movie was shown, there was already so much hype about his portrayal. And like I said, he did not disappoint. He delivered a remarkable performance, oh yeah, worthy of an Oscar.

The Joker was truly disturbing. Not Heath. And I'd like to think that he was not disturbed, either. There has been much speculation about the true nature of his death, but for me, it was an accident. Even his co-star in the movie, Gary Oldman, refuted rumors that Heath was emotionally affected by the darkness of The Joker. Oldman said that they are "just people looking for a darker story that doesn't exist."

Almost 6 months have passed since Heath's death, but seeing him on that big screen made me forget, even for just a bit, that he was already gone.

I miss you Sir William Thatcher, my Joker.

No comments: