Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Novak is King of the Australian Open

You are not mistaken!

It's not Roger Federer nor Rafael Nadal.

Novak Djokovic, the world's number three, became Serbia's first Grand Slam singles champion, when he defeated Frenchman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in four sets, 4-6 6-4 6-3 7-6(7-2) at Melbourne Park, Australia.


Good for him.

Novak turned pro in 2003. But if I remember correctly, the first time I saw him play on tv was in 2005. I instantly became a fan. Saw the potential in him (naks, feeling tennis guru naman ako, hehehe) and he was super cute (ayan, mas forte ko
yan :P)! I'm glad that he won his first grand slam, though, a bigger part of me wanted Tsonga to win. The Frenchman was the one who beat Rafa in the semis, while the Serbian won over Federer.

As you probably know by now, next to Andre Agassi, Rafael Nadal is my next favorite tennis player. And you might have guessed that I am no Federer fanatic. I cheered for Novak during his match with Federer and was super happy when he beat the world's number one. But as my karma would have it, Rafa lost to Tsonga.

But I still cheered for Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the Final. Instead of wishing Novak to win so he could avenge the loss of Rafa, I had other twisted things in mind.

* Tsonga needs to win so that Rafa's loss would be easier to accept - at least he lost to the Champion, and
* Novak must not win because I don't want him to get closer and closer to the number 2 spot and take it away from Rafa. He can remain at number 3 all he wants, but he must not overtake Nadal in the rankings.

I am that selfish.

Hmm...did I say that I was glad Novak won? Wachutink?

No comments: